Specific live yeast: LEVUCELL SC
LEVUCELL SC (Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-1077) improves herd performance across all production stages for milk-type and meat-type ruminants: dairy cows, ewes, goats, lamb for fattening, and beef cattle.
Not all products are available in all markets nor associated claims in all regions.
How it works
The strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-1077 was selected from thousands of yeast strains for its capacity to maximize energy, improve rumen pH- reducing the risk of Sub Acute Ruminant Acidosis (SARA) – aid rumen development and increase fiber digestibility.
Once the yeast is in the rumen, it interacts with its microbial population (bacteria, fungi, and protozoa), fiber, and starch in an anaerobic environment. This contributes to enhancing rumen functions, leading to:
1. Early rumen development
- LEVUCELL SC accelerates the establishment of the rumen microbiota
- LEVUCELL SC improves the development of the rumen papillae
2. Increased rumen pH, reducing the risk of acidosis
- LEVUCELL SC helps stimulate the detoxifying action of lactate-utilizing bacteria (Megasphaera elsdenii, and Selenomonas ruminantium)
- LEVUCELL SC helps reduce the time under rumen acidosis (by threefold compared to control)
- LEVUCELL SC helps limit lactate producing bacteria (Streptococcus bovi) when carbohydrates levels are high*
* variable threshold depending on the ruminant species and production steps.
3. Improved fiber degradation
- LEVUCELL SC stimulates fiber colonization by cellulolytic bacteria and fungi
- LEVUCELL SC helps foster fibers degradability of more than 200 different forages
- LEVUCELL SC helps increase fiber degradation with a positive effect on energy corrected milk
Why it matters
Get more power out of the rumen!
The objective of modern dairy and beef – and small ruminant – production is to provide consumers with high-quality milk and meat – while maximizing income over feed cost – naturally.
As part of a daily ration, LEVUCELL SC rumen specific live yeast has been proven to:
- Accelerate early rumen development of young ruminants
- Increase rumen pH
- Help improve fiber digestion
- Create a more anaerobic environment in the rumen
LEVUCELL SC can help farmers produce more, higher quality milk and meat – and make more money.
Milk-type animals – dairy cows, goats, and sheep
Beginning three weeks prior to calving – and all through lactation – LEVUCELL SC demonstrates significant and consistent improvements in milk yield and feed efficiency (+3%* to +7%** in dairy cows).
LEVUCELL SC maximizes feed digestibility with increased energy per kilogram of feed intake.
LEVUCELL SC excels during rumen challenged conditions, improving visible indicators such as eating behavior, body condition, and cleanliness.
Meat-type animals – beef cattle
At each stage of beef development, LEVUCELL SC shows significant improvements in average daily gain (ADG) and feed efficiency (+3% to +6%).
It excels during rumen-challenging periods by improving visible signs such as eating behavior, nervousness, and cleanliness.
When provided to calves or lambs in starter feeds before and after weaning, LEVUCELL SC improves feed intake and body weight – and growth homogeneity.
Packaging and formulation
LEVUCELL SC is delivered in boxes of 20 kg, in two different formulations:
- LEVUCELL SC 20: highly concentrated formulation (20 billion CFU/g) for non-pelleted or mash-feed type applications.
It should be used at the recommended feeding rate.
- LEVUCELL SC 10 ME Titan: micro-encapsulated technology (10 billion CFU/g), for pelleted feed and minerals. It should be used at the recommended feeding rate.
Both formulations are also available in ready-to-use blends for feed premix or on-farm supplementation.
Need more information?Talk to an expert
ProTernative which contains Saccharomyces cerevisiae boulardii CNCM I-1079, is a proven probiotic that positively supports the immune system of cattle.
LEVUCELL SB is a specific probiotic live yeast dedicated to monogastric animals that acts on intestinal microbiota and strengthens animals' natural defenses.
BACTOCELL is a specific probiotic lactic acid bacteria dedicated to poultry, swine and aquatic species that stabilizes microbiota balance and enhances digestive function.
A new study using the live yeast LEVUCELL SC was conducted on two commercial dairy farms in Poland during the summer of 2021. The study evaluated the impact of feeding the rumen-specific live yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-1077 to dairy cattle during periods of heat stress. Across two farms over 82 days, animals experienced periods […]
Highlighting the advances that have been made in ruminant nutrition. More than 70 livestock nutritionists and consultants were treated to a showcase of research and technology for managing rumen health at this year’s Lallemand Animal Nutrition Rumen Health Seminars held in Toowoomba and Melbourne recently. This year’s program featured speakers from Canada, USA, Ireland and […]
Heat stress can disrupt average daily gain (ADG) in beef cattle, but new tools are available to help nutritionists and farmers around the world estimate losses — and take steps to regain production. Plus, recent research investigates the specific critical temperature for beef cattle linked to heat stress and mortality. It appears that some breeds […]
Heat stress can disrupt milk production, but new tools are available to help nutritionists and farmers around the world estimate their losses — and take steps to regain production. Plus, recent research investigates the link between heat stress, immune response, and inflammatory and antioxidant status of cows. It appears that, for transition cows, the situation […]