Specific live yeast: LEVUCELL SC
LEVUCELL SC (Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-1077) improves herd performance across all production stages for milk-type and meat-type ruminants: dairy cows, ewes, goats, lamb for fattening, and beef cattle.
Not all products are available in all markets nor associated claims in all regions.
How it works
The strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-1077 was selected from thousands of yeast strains for its capacity to maximize energy, improve rumen pH- reducing the risk of Sub Acute Ruminant Acidosis (SARA) – aid rumen development and increase fiber digestibility.
Once the yeast is in the rumen, it interacts with its microbial population (bacteria, fungi, and protozoa), fiber, and starch in an anaerobic environment. This contributes to enhancing rumen functions, leading to:
1. Early rumen development
- LEVUCELL SC accelerates the establishment of the rumen microbiota
- LEVUCELL SC improves the development of the rumen papillae
2. Increased rumen pH, reducing the risk of acidosis
- LEVUCELL SC helps stimulate the detoxifying action of lactate-utilizing bacteria (Megasphaera elsdenii, and Selenomonas ruminantium)
- LEVUCELL SC helps reduce the time under rumen acidosis (by threefold compared to control)
- LEVUCELL SC helps limit lactate producing bacteria (Streptococcus bovi) when carbohydrates levels are high*
* variable threshold depending on the ruminant species and production steps.
3. Improved fiber degradation
- LEVUCELL SC stimulates fiber colonization by cellulolytic bacteria and fungi
- LEVUCELL SC helps foster fibers degradability of more than 200 different forages
- LEVUCELL SC helps increase fiber degradation with a positive effect on energy corrected milk
Why it matters
Get more power out of the rumen!
The objective of modern dairy and beef – and small ruminant – production is to provide consumers with high-quality milk and meat – while maximizing income over feed cost – naturally.
As part of a daily ration, LEVUCELL SC rumen specific live yeast has been proven to:
- Accelerate early rumen development of young ruminants
- Increase rumen pH
- Help improve fiber digestion
- Create a more anaerobic environment in the rumen
LEVUCELL SC can help farmers produce more, higher quality milk and meat – and make more money.
Milk-type animals – dairy cows, goats, and sheep
Beginning three weeks prior to calving – and all through lactation – LEVUCELL SC demonstrates significant and consistent improvements in milk yield and feed efficiency (+3%* to +7%** in dairy cows).
LEVUCELL SC maximizes feed digestibility with increased energy per kilogram of feed intake.
LEVUCELL SC excels during rumen challenged conditions, improving visible indicators such as eating behavior, body condition, and cleanliness.
Meat-type animals – beef cattle
At each stage of beef development, LEVUCELL SC shows significant improvements in average daily gain (ADG) and feed efficiency (+3% to +6%).
It excels during rumen-challenging periods by improving visible signs such as eating behavior, nervousness, and cleanliness.
When provided to calves or lambs in starter feeds before and after weaning, LEVUCELL SC improves feed intake and body weight – and growth homogeneity.
Packaging and formulation
LEVUCELL SC is delivered in boxes of 20 kg, in two different formulations:
- LEVUCELL SC 20: highly concentrated formulation (20 billion CFU/g) for non-pelleted or mash-feed type applications.
It should be used at the recommended feeding rate.
- LEVUCELL SC 10 ME Titan: micro-encapsulated technology (10 billion CFU/g), for pelleted feed and minerals. It should be used at the recommended feeding rate.
Both formulations are also available in ready-to-use blends for feed premix or on-farm supplementation.
Need more information?Talk to an expert
BACTOCELL is a specific probiotic lactic acid bacteria dedicated to poultry, swine and aquatic species that stabilizes microbiota balance and enhances digestive function.
LEVUCELL SB is a specific probiotic live yeast dedicated to monogastric animals that acts on intestinal microbiota and strengthens animals' natural defenses.
Levucell SC TOXISORB is a unique rumen specific live yeast and high quality yeast cell wall targeting toxins.
Levucell SC RUMIGNITION is the complete yeast based solution for combating acidosis and toxins. * Not all products are available in all markets nor associated claims allowed in all regions.
Whist the cows may be happy to be out, a change to lush, lower fibre grass is a challenge for the rumen. The resulting loose, liquid manure isn’t just a hazard for milkers, it is a sure sign of lost milk production and/or milk quality. Loose manure suggests poor rumen function, especially if gas bubbles […]
Measure forage quality and quantity “Measuring silage clamps and assessing the quantity of forages available is equally important,” says Mr McFarland. He says if you are aware of this, you can plan ahead to ensure rations are balanced to meet cows’ needs. “If you start planning for winter as early as possible, it should help […]
A new study using the live yeast LEVUCELL SC was conducted on two commercial dairy farms in Poland during the summer of 2021. The study evaluated the impact of feeding the rumen-specific live yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-1077 to dairy cattle during periods of heat stress. Across two farms over 82 days, animals experienced periods […]
Heat stress is becoming a common problem on British dairy farms with Lallemand monitor farm data from last summer showing an average estimated cost of £128 per cow. As heat waves become more common, it’s important farmers understand the risks of heat stress and identify ways they can mitigate its impacts. Cows start to show […]